Nellie"s Needles

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Charlie's Quilt

This cuddle quilt was made as a 70th birthday present for a friend. The sashing fabric features cardinals and blue jays which are just two of the many kinds of birds that come to his smorgasbord of feeders. Charlie is also the king of flowers in our neighborhood so there are floral fabrics as well as those that are the colors of flowers in the scrap blocks.

I machine quilted the blocks with an oak leaf design in honor of the huge oak tree just outside his door. The large and small blocks are quilted in the ditch with a clear monofilament thread. A freehand loop pattern stitched with a variegated thread  fills the borders and areas between the scrap blocks.

I like to piece the quilt backs with fabrics that coordinate with the theme and colors of their front side.


This is my favorite kind of quilt to make. When I have a bit of free time, or a friend has gifted me with a bag of wonderful scraps, I like to make up blocks. There is such serendipity in how the patterns and colors come together. With different sashing and corner block fabrics this could easily have been made into a feminine or juvenile  quilt. I'm pleased that my choices are perfect for our male friend who's fond of birds and flowers.

9 comments:

Julia Wood said...

What a wonderful gift! You did a beautiful job!

Diane Kelsey said...

A beautiful quilt, the colours work well together. A great present.

Sue Spurlock said...

This is one of the cheeriest quilts I've seen...just looking at it makes me feel good

Beverly said...

What a lovely gift, Nellie- the love and care you put into it really shows.

Elaine Adair said...

It's a lovely quilt for cuddling, Nellie. The back is as clever as the front!! Love it, and I'm sure your friend will as well. 8-))

Heather said...

Your cuddle quilt is gorgeous - on both sides. What a wonderful gift. It is beautiful as well as practical and I'm sure will be much loved.

Lisa Boni said...

Really love the idea of this quilt as a way to deal with all those small scraps and still come up with something beautiful! Great gift!

Rian said...

What a lovely gift. Speaks volumes of love and caring.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

The word Cuddle is perfect for this quilt. I love the fabrics and your friend will be delighted.