Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lillian's Purse

This summer I had the pleasure of helping three children in the Durand family create projects in my studio. The first was my 6-year old great-niece, Lillian, who made this ...
 
 "Lillian's Purse" - 11"x 12"

When her family visited the cottage in June I was still engrossed in making the small purse quilts. Lillian helped me to make several design decisions for this one ...

...which I ended up calling "Lillian's Purple Purse" ... which is also the title of a book she had recently read.

There was no hesitation when I asked if she'd like make a purse quilt. Lillian keeps a journal that she draws and/or writes in daily. She drew a picture of what she had in mind to make ...


Using her drawing as reference, I sorted through the huge pile of fabric samples that I've been working from to give her a selection of about dozen different pieces to choose from for the body, the flap, and the background.

The purses are constructed by sewing a lining and purse fabric right sides together, then turning them right side out so there is a finished smooth edge to applique onto the background. Lillian sewed those seams following the drawn lines on the lining layer with a bit of verbal guidance from me sitting right behind her at the sewing machine. Later I machine appliqued them in place as well as stitching the edge of the flap so the dark lining showed a bit.

In the meantime, Lillian quilted the background all on her own ...

There was no problem selecting the trimmings for the handle and "closure". However, when it came to choosing the yarns for finishing the outside edge, none that I thought would be good were what she had in mind. I got a "that's IT" when I came up with that variegated chenille one.

Lillian and I both signed the back ...

Lillian is no stranger to Studio North. At about 18-months she was helping her mom, Diane, with the pins for this piece created by Diane during that summer vacation in my studio.

The next two posts will feature each of the other Durand kids projects.

6 comments:

Deborah M. said...

So adorable. Nellie, a little smaller version of those would make great AAQI quilts!

seo service said...

Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.

Heather said...

How lovely to be working with your great-niece on this project. It looks as if she will carry on the family tradition of fine quilting. Can't wait to see what the other two made.

Elaine Adair said...

What a delight for YOU to see HER, so determined to make things, just like you make them! And seeing her at the machine? that's a delight for many machine-quilter wannabees, who think they can't do it!

... and I find the photo of her at the machine totally delightful for ME as well. What a charming photo. 8-)))

(...and yes, the prev. comment was deleted by me. Apparently I no longer deserve my crown for Spelling Bee Champ -- jeesh, a person should proof what they say!)

вебпромо said...

I have already subscribed to the RSS feed of your weblog and look forward to reading more of your blog posts in the future.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I love working with children. They are so free and excited and have no doubts about how successful their finished piece is. It is so wonderful to see you work with her.