Nellie"s Needles

Saturday, November 07, 2009

Spirit Dolls In the Prairie Flowers

This past week my spirit doll returned home after making the rounds of SMQ Guild's Thursday bee members participating in this project.
So I've been working on her a bit. I stitched her hands together so she can hold the acorn gift that Susan Lenz gave me when I met her in South Carolina last January.

She gained breasts and a derriere made in the "yo yo" technique ... the gathered side placed up and decorated with wood beads for her top while they're placed down to give her a smooth bottom. I also lengthened her tutu skirt by dropping it down and suspending it with lengths of yarn from her waist. A layer of leaves cut from the piece I made for this quilt is sewn to her wings.
The other spirit doll with lovely hair is the last one passed to me. One of my additions was to lengthen her tutu by stitching silk flower petals to the hem. While I was at it, silk blossoms with silk ribbon centers were added for decoration.
She, too, gained a yo-yo derriere. Her skirt is parted to give you a better view.
I couldn't resist posing them in front of the two latest prairie flower mini quilts.

All the spirit dolls will be brought to bee next Thursday. Come back then to see pictures taken of all these beauties at the "spirit" party.

8 comments:

Julie said...

These are really beautiful Spirit Dolls Nellie. My favourite is the second one :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

These go perfectly together! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest after the meeting.

Lynniemay said...

These are very cute!
I've been wanting to make a spirit doll. Now you've given me inspiration! Thank-you!

Heather said...

I love the spirit dolls Nellie, and they look so right alongside your mini-quilts. Looking forward to seeing them all together at their party!

Libby Fife said...

I do like those dolls. They are wearing my colors:)

arlee said...

Fabulous sweeties! And they "Vogue" perfectly with the gorgeous mini quilts :)

Maggie R said...

Nellie these dolls are fabulous.... I love their individuality and such a perfect addition to the little mini quilts.....
Thanks for sharing.
Did you drop by by blog to enter the draw????
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Teodo said...

Nellie your dolls are fantastic.....I wait for to see all.
ciao ciao