Nellie"s Needles

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Playing With Alicia

My friend, Alicia, just left after a ten-day visit. I've posted about her visits and our projects in previous years. Having a major project to work on is a tradition for us. It usually involves making presents for our mutual friends. Last year it was the birds. This year it involves this bag of voluptuousness.
Our shopping was done on Alicia's first day. Here she is cutting and stitching.
The weather was unseasonably cool for most of her visit. There were only two days we were able to sit outside to stitch. Between our time out there and in my studio we took a few day trips that included my husband. One was up to the Smoky Mountains.
We had a picnic next to a mountain stream ... just below the Chimney Tops.
At this altitude the trees were still bare, but the wild flowers were blooming.
Near the top was quite a bit of snow ...
... and ice cycles on the shady side of rock cliffs.
As for our project, we each completed seven of these.
The feathered one is created by Alicia. I made this glamorous one.
I cannot reveal the others until they are gifted next Christmas because many of the recipients read this blog. We are calling these "pin-up potpourri pouches" since we think few of our friends would carry these suggestive beauties as evening bags. Besides, even though some of them are "D" cups, they're hardly large enough for all the stuff that we older women find necessary to carry on an evening out.

16 comments:

Julie said...

The pot porri pouches are great fun and I love your photo of the icicles. It has a great colour and texture. How wonderful to spend time and creativity with a friend.

Kay said...

Bras can be so pretty it makes sense to do something with them, but you're right. I wouldn't quite have the nerve to use one for a purse! Love the one with the tassel on the appropriate spot--

Vicki W said...

I didn't know what to expect but they turned out quite nice!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I had to read the post twice to 'get' that these were made with bras! What a great idea and will make such unique gifts. Love it!!

Libby Fife said...

I can assume they are sturdy and will protect my valuables?

Debra Dixon said...

Looks fun! I assume you matched the bra to the recipient's tastes!

Nellie's Needles said...

Libby, these PPP's are very sturdy. As great as they are for this project, there isn't a one that I would wear. All that foam padding works well to keep the shape of the pouch, but I surely wouldn't want to be encased in it.

We couldn't believe how much time we put into the stitching. They're definitely more work than making birds.

Debra, we're counting on each recipient loving the one made especially for her. We envision these being hung in either their closets/dressing rooms or bathrooms.

verobirdie said...

Very nice and funny idea! i'm sure the recipients will love them.

Amy Munson said...

I loved the idea of a purse from a bra (saw it in a local shop) What a fun project to do with a creative friend.

arlee said...

Oh heck--i'd wear one of those AS a bra --okay 2 of them :} Stunning!

Kim Hambric said...

It looks as if you and your friend had a wonderful and creative time. Gosh, I had never thought about doing anything with bras. These are beautiful. I don't suppose there is anything that I can do with an old stretched out beige bra, sigh.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Is the A cup the coin purse and the double D's the hand bag?

How much fun you must have had with your friends and the photos were beautiful.

Unknown said...

What a crack-up! Awesome idea =)

Heather said...

Those bras looked too good to be cut up and made into little bags, but the final results are lovely. What beautiful images of your trip to the mountains. I have stitched in the garden twice this year, but our weather is very erratic just now and very wet at present. Maybe next week ....

Teodo said...

No, I cannot think that under these bags there are........cups D.
Your fantasy has no borders.
ciao ciao

Marty Mason said...

What a lark you two must have had. I don't have DD's in my lingerie drawer, so may be off to a major depatment store??? today for the right size to play!! with.
I'd like to hear the reactions of the recipients....