Nellie"s Needles

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Side By Side Lake Pieces

The first one is Lake #31. Lake #32 is built off its right edge ... continuing the scene.

There is actually a more noticeable difference between them than is shown in these photos. #32 is more intense. It's a challenge to make separate pieces with the intention of their being connected. It's easy to continue the lines, but difficult to get a suitable contrast between them. I have some thinking to do before continuing in this vein. I do like a challenge.

Aargh! I copied small sized photos and positioned them side by side in the edit version. I'm sorry they don't show up that way here.

Another "Aargh"!! This piece was pinned together on the work table for two days. In all that time I didn't think to take a photo of it in progress. It occurred to me after the quilting was finished. Aargh!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

When I first looked at the picture on BLoglines they were side by side. Strange that when I clicked on it and looked at your actual blog they weren't any more. However, they do look wonderful either way.

p said...

i love your aarghs...you sound like a peanuts comic strip.
i'll bet if you resized the photos just a bit smaller they would be side by side...but its probably not worth the effort.
I like 31 upclose, it looks like a tile mosaic. beautiful work.

arlee said...

I;m constantly amazed at how you are able to take such disparate and diverse colours and patterns and unify then into these vignettes----fabulous!

Teodo said...

Dear Nellie
Both of your lakes are wonderful!
You say that the contrast is not the same, but the lake or the see too never look the same.
ciao ciao and enjoy your weekend

Ferret said...

Yes, I think the similarity and difference does show quite clearly. Maybe it is due to having seen a lot of your lake pictures on here and having been show many of it's subtle differences. I love the light in both of them I think they work very well.

Bonnie said...

Absolutely love your landscapes!

jenclair said...

Both are gorgeous. Love the sparkly bits in one and the little highlights of color in the other. The series reminds me of Heraclitus' remark that you can never step in the same river twice. Every lap of a wave, every minute change in light changes the landscape.